Wednesday 24 March 2010

Lavinia Stamps, Adirondack inks and Brayer





This card is very similar to one I made last year and entered in a competition held by Quick Cards Made Easy Magazine..I was one of eight winners and I was over the moon to receive a load of crafty goodies on Christmas eve.

I started with some white,Matt card stock that is very smooth. It is difficult to blend the dye inks on some card stock so you must find the right stuff ...I buy mine from Lavinia Stamps.

I blended Lettuce & Pesto Adirondak inks along the bottom of the card & Purple Twilight & Eggplant along the top, meeting & fading together in the middle ...a light touch is required for blending, please do not be tempted to press down hard on your brayer ...soft, light, flicks only, adding more ink as you go but always take off any excess ink first on cheap copy paper ( I am making a card this afternoon with the scrap paper I used this morning ..I just loved the colours ..I will post it tomorrow if it's not rubbish!)

I inked the Fairy Coach stamp using Adirondak Pitch black & rolled my brayer up the stamp to get a reverse image ...TWO important things here ...I always use a Speedball soft rubber brayer ...I have others but for this technique they do not work like the speedball ..also I only ever use dye base inks with my brayer ...other inks stain the brayer and will not come off ! I always use baby wipes to clean my brayer and I am careful how I lay it down because the rubber can get dented and ruin the surface...I use a mug tree to store my brayers on ... ( see pic above )

Place the brayer about half way down the page and with a quick flick your image is there..don't worry if it looks a bit blurry it does not matter as it is supposed to be in water or ice! I inked the stamp again using Versafine onyx black and stamped it touching the reflection... a few thin lines of pitch black again using the edge of my brayer completes the water or ice effect... I used a third generation ink impression for the trees and Versafine Imperial purple & Olympia green for the vines & bullrushes ....a bit of ribbon...gold liquid pearls &  some stickles to finish ...hope you are not asleep cos I will be asking questions !!

Thanks for being with me today

Eileen x